Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Scholarship Essay by Anonymous


Falling is very painful but just as hurricanes, the return is always stronger.  Is not the strongest who first reaches the goal without obstacles but one that solves the overhead obstacles and find solutions to achieve it’s goal.

My life as been full of hardships since I was in my home country.  I believe that my nightmare started the day that I lose my father.  I was just 7 years old but I clearly remember that day when he died.  My father was the support for my family but also he was our protection.  I felt that apart from losing my dad, we also lost the nuclear family that we used to be, and very importantly  we lost respect for some people to my family.  My mother was the one who most suffered from that situation.  I felt really bad too but also I felt that I had to be strong so my mom could feel more confident.

I was succeeding in school. I was the best student in the municipality.  I received many diplomas when I was in school.  I have a very special one.  The president of my country, Vicente Fox, sent me a diploma in recognition of my efforts and for being a good student.  I was full of joy and proud of myself.  My family was proud too because they thought I really merited it.  In the midst my joy, I was facing problems because the people in my community think that women should be at home instead of studying.  I didn't care about those persons because all I wanted was to be a successful woman.

When I was 16 years old, a tragedy changed my life completely.  A man forced me to go with him.  He threatened me with a gun and told me to get in his car, he took me to his house and he raped me.  His family had power in the community so I was afraid to leave his house.  I stayed with his family for about 6 months.  His family treated me as their slave.  I did everything for them.  One day I decided to leave the house but my life had taken a terrible turn.  My mom and I were worried about my safety and the only solution I found was to immigrate.

When I got here, I signed up for school again, but also I had to work.  That was arduous but I completed eleventh grade.  Then I quit school because I was pregnant.  When my baby was one and a half I got pregnant with my second baby.  I became really depressed because I thought my dreams were over.  I found Wellstone and it opened the door for me.  It’s been challenging to divide my time and energy between work, school and my children but I am tenacious and this year I will finally graduate.

Once I finish high school, I will go to Minnesota Community and Technical College for two years.  Then I will go to the University of Minnesota to earn a 4 year degree in Psychology.  My favorite subjects are Social Studies and Health.


My dream is to became a Psychologist.  I would like to work with women and children.  The experiences of my life have nurtured a feeling in my heart for helping people.  I think that if I can get ahead and succeed, then everyone can.  I want to support people because I know very well how it feels to live in the midst of solitude without having someone by your side, anyone who will listen or a shoulder to cry on.


My life now is very heavy and stressful.  Its like a labyrinth but I know the way out and the way up is through education. With study and hard work, I will find my way to a new life that will be better for me and my children. With your help I can find a way out of the labyrinth.


No comments:

Post a Comment