Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Autobiographical Scholarship essay by Egigayehu Ashagre

           I am Egigayehu.  I was born in Wanji, Ethiopia. I grew up in a small town. When I was growing up my mom left me with my grandmother and went to live in another country.  It was a difficult time to learn because nobody helped me.  I started school when I was 10 years old.  I started school late because my grandmother had no education. How could she support me? When I was nine years old, my mom, my brother, and sister went to Nairobe, Kenya to go to the United States of America because my older sister got engaged and was already in America. 
           
            When my mom went to Kenya, I was carefree because I thought she would come back after a month, but she never came back. When I thought of her, I cried a lot, got a headache, and slept.  When I saw other children with their mother’s I felt deep sadness and cried because my mom was not with me. I felt lonely.  I liked to sit in a quiet place by myself and think about the day I would see my mom again.  When I was a little girl, I lost my mom and dad’s love.  My dad lived without me because he married another woman. My mom left me to make a better life. When I went to school, I was not learning, I was thinking of my mom. After a long time, my mom called my grandmother and me.  When I heard her voice on the phone I could not control my tears, I could not say anything, and I was happy to hear her voice.  My mom told me that she would come back someday. I had a dream to see my mom and to live with her.  I also loved my grandmother  because she took care of me and she gave me what I wanted. She represented my mom.  

            After ten years, my mom came to see me and my grandmother. Then she started the process to take me to America, and after one year, I got my visa to come here. I felt two things; happiness and sadness.  I was happy because my dream to live with my mom came true.  I felt sadness because I had to leave my grandmother. When I said goodbye, my grandmother was crying and she told me, “Concentrate on your education and come to see me before I am dead. Don’t stay a long time because I am too old of a woman.” I said, “Don’t say that. You will live a long time and I promise you I will focus on my education.” After that I hugged her and said goodbye. I believe that knowledge is necessary to achieve your goals.  I came here in May 2010.  I have been here one year and six months. Now I am running to catch my dream and fulfill my promise to my grandmother.  
    
            My first post-secondary goal will be to go to college and get a degree so that I can achieve my dreams. After I get my high school diploma I will go to St. Cloud State University.  First, I will earn a 2 year degree, then I will take a break to work in order to make money to complete my 4 year degree.
        
             My personal aspiration is to go to college to become a radiologist. After I get my degree, I hope, to work in a hospital.  I am interested in this job because I really want to help those who do not have anything, like the homeless, orphans, and senior citizens. Being healthy is very important.  When people need medical help I want to be able to help them.  Helping people brings me happiness. No matter where I am going, I will always remember where I have been.  When I get my job, I will help others and immigrants.
    
           I serve my community and school as a student council member and a member and teacher in the women’s bike club.  I learned how to ride a bike after I became involved with the team. Now, I teach others how to ride a bicycle. I gained work experience in Ethiopia.  Every weekend I worked to help my cousin at her restaurant.  I washed dishes and worked as a hostess, greeting customers coming in.
     
             My mother and I live together. My mom does not have a job because she is old and she has a disability.  The government helps her live. That is why I ask you to help me.  My mom can not afford to pay for my college.  When I go to college, I will live on campus, because I want to focus only on my education.  Living on campus will be more expensive, but it will be beneficial because I will be able to focus.  If I get this scholarship, I will be able to accomplish my goals, achieve my dreams, and help people in my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment