Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Graduation speech by Rozaura Cendejas


Good afternoon, my name is Rozaura Cendejas and I am really happy being here.  It is an honor to stand in front of you and share  my experience as a student and what my journey was to get here.  

Five years ago, I came to the US with nothing but a bunch of dreams which seemed to be unreachable and overshadowed by one little detail, the difference of language.  So I realized that the only thing that was going to give me the wings to fly and reach my dreams was education. On my way, I found many obstacles and negative comments like “Don’t waste your time going to school”, “Find a job and get money”, “Education wasn’t made for an immigrant” and the most painful comment was “You don’t love your children, since you’re leaving them just for school.”  Those comments hurt, yes, but they never took away my desire to succeed.  Success is based on education and requires a lot of effort.  Is not easy, nor is it impossible.

I want to thank this wonderful school that gives us the opportunity to learn, grow and succeed.  Of course that wouldn't be possible without our incredible teachers.  Thank you so much! I really admire your patience and how great you all are.  I thank you because you never left me alone.  I knew you were going to be there at any time and always willing to help me.  I also want to thank the TAPP program for taking care of my kids while I was studying.  I am here thanks to their support.

Dear fellows, my advice for you is that you have to take education as a gift, not as a punishment.  That’s what education is, a gift which we can open and take whatever we want out of it.  It gives us the opportunity to choose our future.  I understand that sometimes we feel discouraged, but think about what you really want and what’s the best for you.  Seek help, talk to your teachers and give yourselves the opportunity to learn and improve your lives.  Based on my own experience, nobody forced me to come to school, nobody told me “Wake up,  go to school, do your homework.”  Studying was the gift that I chose.  Which gift are you going to choose?  I know that you all are going to succeed because you are already here and after one, two years or more, you are not going to be sitting down there, but standing here, ready to say “mission accomplished.” Although this is just the first step towards our dream, college is waiting for us with its arms open.  “Don’t just follow your dreams, chase them and if you ever fall down, stand up and be proud of what you have learned from that fall.”

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment